95% of all rodenticides
Impedes the ability of the animal to clot blood by depleting the body of Vitamin K. Vitamin K is needed to activate certain clotting factors. Therefore, without vitamin K the body is unable to clot blood.
Blood loss resulting in anemia and other clinical signs:
i.Bleeding into chest cavity, lungs, brain, abdomen, intestines, etc.
ii.Bleeding results in shortness of breath, weakness, neurologic abnormalities, bruising on skin, and dark tarry stool among others.
i. If known ingestion within 4 hours then induce vomiting using syrup of ipecac or bring to veterinarian.
ii. After induction of vomiting bring pet to veterinarian as soon as possible for further treatment.
iii. Mainstay of treatment is Vitamin K injections at veterinarian and tablets at home.
This is a serious toxicity as clinical signs may not become apparent until too much blood has been lost and pet may die due to toxicity. Therefore if you notice your pet having any of these signs and there is chance of exposure they should be brought to the veterinarian immediately.